Saturday, January 29, 2011

Project Couch: Step 1

I have decided to call my project to change the way my couches look "Project Couch". Today was day one/step one.....dye the slip covers brown. I decided that I wanted to go with the dark brown look. Like I said in the last post the first thing I was going to do was bleach the already blue denim slip covers and then dye them brown. Well let's just say the bleaching step didn't work. NOT at all.

So I'm standing there in this dirty, creepy laundromat with all these semi-scary looking people staring at me because I'm the only white girl in the place, and I am just wanting to get this done. I used three washers and with a gallon of bleach split evenly between the three, I was ready to say good bye to the blue. But I quickly realized the blue was not ready to part with me. I stood there for a while just looking at the now sopping wet blue slip covers trying to decide what I should do next. Desperate to start seeing brown, I poured a bottle of Rit dye in each washer and let it do it's thing.

After the first soak/cycle I realized that one bottle wasn't going to cut it. So I ran to the store, leaving my soaking slip covers in the machines, praying that no one would steal them. I mean really, who'd want them anyways?? To my joy, they were still there waiting for me. So I put another bottle in each washer and let it run it's cycle. Then I rinsed one more time to make sure all the extra dye was gone.

I have to admit when I was leaving the laundromat the slipcovers were looking anything but brown to me. Maybe it was just the harsh sunlight, but I saw a brownish blue and a purple. NOT the look I was going for. By the time I got them back on the couches they looked a lot better.

I don't have any pictures to share yet because I was too lazy to take them today! :) But I promise I will get some tomorrow when the lighting is better and I will post them first thing!

No comments: