Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Craft Projects

So I can already tell that 2011 is going to be a year of craft projects.....or at least for the first couple of months it is! :) Why you might ask.....because right now I'm in a very crafty mood!

I have always loved doing crafts. Especially crafts that create fun items that you can use or decorate with in your home. I had a friend in high school that nick-named me "Crafty Kate". :) So I guess I'm just living up to my nick-name! Last year I attempted to make a quilt....which I might add was a bit of a flop. I now know what I did wrong though....so it was a learning lesson. About a month ago I found another pattern for a quilt sort of blanket that I LOVED. And even better yet, it seemed pretty easy and do-able. So as soon as we were back in Waco after all the holiday traveling I went to the store to buy some fabric.

The result.....a blanket that I LOVE! I love it so much that I am actually ready to make more. While it does take a lot of time to make because it is very, very, very....I must repeat very repetitive. But, with patience and a little bit of soreness, the end result is a gorgeous blanket.

The first one I made is about the size of a throw blanket. Perfect for curling up on the couch with and watching a good movie. I must say, that there have been a few "fights" between Blake and I over who gets to use the cool new blanket. Guess that just means I will have to make another! :) My goal is actually to figure out how to make one big enough to use as a quilt on a bed. I will update you on that when it happens.

My next big craft project....do something about my couches. Mom and Dad, if you are reading this, I love your couches and am so very grateful that you gave them to us. But I must be honest......I am really sick and tired of the fabric that is on them. :) Thankfully the fabric is a slip cover! So here's the plan....

- bleach the slip covers for the couches themselves
- re-die the slip covers a lovely tanish brown/chocolate brown....haven't decided yet
- sew new pillow covers for the existing pillows with some fun vibrant fabrics....another pattern/color yet to be determined
- make a few smaller throw pillows to add

So I decided to post my progress on our blog. It will keep me accountable to get it done. The only thing that is holding me back is 1) not wanting to destroy our ok couches and 2) money. While it will be cheaper than buying new couches it will still be a little bit of an investment. But if you know me, you know that I will find a good deal. I can't buy anything without knowing I got a good deal. For instance....the other day at Old Navy I got four shirts and a pair of pants for $25. That. is. a. good. deal. :)

Anyways....that's about all for now. I will post pics along the way. And if don't see any updates on the couch situation in the next couple of weeks.....ask me about it. Keep me accountable. :)

No comments: